What is depression?
We all feel sad and fed up occasionally, whether it be in response to an upsetting experience or for no reason at all. However, if you are feeling this way for weeks or months, rather than just a few days, you may be suffering with depression issues.
Although depression can affect people in different ways and there are different levels of severity, some common symptoms of depression include:
• Continuous low mood or sadness
• Feeling hopeless or helpless
• Feeling tearful
• Feeling guilt-ridden
• Feeling irritable and intolerant of other people
• Having no motivation or interest in things
• Feeling indecisive
• Not getting enjoyment out of life
• Feeling anxious or worried
• Having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself
• Lack of energy or interest in sex
• Change in appetite
• Disturbed sleep (sleeping too much or sleeping too little)
However, symptoms might be specific to the type of depression you are experiencing as there are several sub-types including:
• Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
• Bipolar disorder
• Post-natal depression
If you think you are suffering from depression, a combination of medication and therapy has been proven to be the most effective treatment for depression.
Which therapies might help?
Our highly trained team at My Online Therapy are experienced at helping individuals suffering from depression.