Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is most effective in the treatment of eating disorders, depression, problems associated with borderline personality disorder, self-harm, addiction, PTSD, and other mental health problems which threaten your safety, work, relationships and emotional well-being.
What is DBT?
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is a talking therapy, based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), but has been adapted to help people who experience emotions very intensely.
DBT aims to teach you skills that enable you to live in the present moment, cope healthily with stress, regulate your emotions, and improve your relationships with others.
If you are experiencing prolonged instability in your mood, self-image, thinking, behaviour, and relationships – DBT may be an appropriate therapy for you.
How does it work and is it effective?
- DBT is a long-term, intensive treatment. Duration of DBT can range between 6 months – 2 years.
- You are likely to meet your therapist once or twice weekly. One of the weekly sessions is for individual therapy and one is for skills training.
- The therapy sessions are to help you deal with overwhelming crisis situations and will help to reinforce the skills training that you receive.
- Individual therapy will also help you to analyse situations where things went wrong, and will help you to figure out more effective strategies for the future.
- You should expect to receive homework tasks, which are opportunities for you to practice the skills that you’ve learned in therapy.
- DBT has a significant evidence base and has been shown to be effective in reducing suicidal behaviour, self-harm, substance misuse, anger and depression. It is now recognised to be the gold standard psychological treatment for individuals with borderline personality disorder.
DBT is most effective in the treatment of eating disorders, depression, problems associated with borderline personality disorder, self-harm, addiction, PTSD, and other mental health problems which threaten your safety, work, relationships and emotional well-being.
Online therapy – the DBT approach
At My Online Therapy, we have several highly qualified psychologists who are experienced in delivering Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. They can also bring this therapy to you within the comfort of your own home or office through our online platform that has been developed exclusively for the delivery of psychological therapy in a convenient and accessible way.