Narrative Therapy will benefit those who define themselves by their problems. PTSD and anxiety disorders are suited for Narrative Therapy.
What is Narrative Therapy?
Narrative therapy views us as separate from our problems, and encourages us to use our many skills, competencies, beliefs, values, commitments and abilities to assist us in changing our relationship with problems in our lives.
Throughout life, personal experiences become personal stories. We give these stories meaning, and the stories help shape our identity. These significant stories (normally based from negative events) can ultimately shape our identity. Narrative therapy uses the power of these stories to help people discover their life purpose in a way that reflects who they are, what they are capable of, and what their purpose is, separate from their problems. This is often done by assigning that person the role of “narrator” in their own story.
How does it work and is it effective?
- Your therapist will help you to objectify your problems and frame them within a larger social and cultural context.
- Your therapist may invite you to reflect on the influence of the problem(s) on your life, and the influence that you have over the problem(s).
- Both you and the therapist identify and build upon “alternative” or “preferred” storylines. These storylines exist beyond your ‘problem story’, and the therapist teaches you how to make room for other stories. These alternative stories provide contrast to the problem, reflect your true nature, and allow you to rewrite your story.
- Throughout Narrative Therapy, your therapist will explore with you, in detail, the times when things have been going better.
- The therapist will think with you about valued relationships in your life, both past and present, human or otherwise.
- With your agreement, invite key people to witness and celebrate emerging, preferred identity stories.
- There is a significant and increasing amount of evidence for the effectiveness for Narrative Therapy
Online therapy – the Narrative Therapy approach
At My Online Therapy, we have several highly qualified psychologists who are experienced in delivering Narrative Therapy. They can also bring this therapy to you within the comfort of your own home or office through our online platform that has been developed exclusively for the delivery of psychological therapy in a convenient and accessible way.